September 2006 - The Western Area Power Administration announced that it coordinated renewable energy certificate (REC) purchases by five federal agencies totaling 236 million kWh over five years. The RECs will be supplied by 3 Phases Energy (now serviced by 3Degrees) from wind, biomass and geothermal projects located in California, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon and South Dakota. The purchases will help the agencies meet federal renewable energy use goals set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The agency purchases include:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Denver (7 million kWh)
- Fort Lewis, Wash. (209.5 million kWh)
- NASA Ames Research Center, Calif. (12.3 million kWh)
- NASA Eastside Airfield, Calif. (4.1 million kWh)
- U.S. Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Region (2.75 million kWh)
Western also coordinated a 1.5 billion kWh, five-year purchase of renewable energy by Colorado Springs Utilities, which will be used to comply with the state's renewable portfolio standard (RPS) requirement. Under this agreement, Community Energy, Inc. will supply RECs from wind energy and other renewable projects located primarily in California, Kansas and Nebraska.
News Article - Credits Help Utilities Go Green